1 2 3 4 5 6
Ok then, I bet £1m at evens that you are wrong. Takers?
7/26/2011 3:29:56 AM
So, the solar system, the tidal waves, heat waves, most interstellar nebulas (I think), your fucking excuse for a brain and body, the UNIVERSE, lasers and Nukes disappear while everyone gets cancer which btw, is cell growth?
7/26/2011 3:33:03 AM
I'll double that : )
7/26/2011 3:35:51 AM
All that smoke must be going to your brain.
7/26/2011 3:38:21 AM
This HAS to be a Poe. Surely nobody's THIS ignorant.
@PFN: no thanks, I never bet on a sure thing.
7/26/2011 3:38:54 AM
1. Without which, we would never have made it to the moon or sent probes anywhere else in the solar system. Oh wait, you probably think that's a hoax, don't you?
2. You seriously think that the tobacco companies haven't pursued this line of inquiry a million times over. I mean, you're probably American (sorry for generalisation), so you should know about capitalism and how it works.
3. ...so basically, going off this and your first point, you think that gravity doesn't exist. WHAT.
4. One, it's called "climate change". Two, you're a moron. Three, do your bloody research.
5. You mean the fourth state of matter, right? I mean, there's like fifteen or something. All of which have been demonstrated to exist.
6. Without which we'd never have been able to do any of our work on cancer, to the point where the lives of thousands of people are saved each year.
7. Again, proven.
8. The HB fits the particle model perfectly. Every other particle in the aforementioned model has been discovered - it's just the HB we're still after, and the folks over at CERN think they're close. Besides, without the HB, what would give us mass?
9. Lasers are just light. You're saying that light doesn't exist. Wow.
10. If our theories about atomic structure were wrong, then there would be no way in hell that we'd have ANY modern conveniences, as they all rely on chemicals that could be created after we'd figured out how atoms work.
@LC: Oh God, he's a Brit. Fantastic. I once again apologise for my generalisation, as it is totally irrelevant now.
7/26/2011 3:45:41 AM
here are 10 other scientific ideas which I feel will be exposed as FALSE within the next 25 years:
Personal feelings without any confirmation from reality are worthless for proving anything. The same applies for faith.
This list here more or less claims that the foundation of physics as we know it will be completely overturned in the next 25 years. There is nothing so far which even slightly supports this outrageous claim.
And with overturned I mean overturned. Einstein's General Theory of Relativity didn't overturn Newtonian mechanics, it extended it. Newtonian mechanics still works fine enough for example when you want to fly to the moon.
This guy here is claiming a complete overturn like it happened when the irrationality of the dark ages was overturned by the scientific revolution. I fear that "Garvan Ellison" wants to reverse this.
7/26/2011 3:58:19 AM
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 may be developed further as new understanding is gained, but the other four are probably going to stay much as they are today.
7/26/2011 4:02:50 AM
For those who haven't encountered Garvan before:
Surprisingly, he's not an American. He's in the UK.
He's probably not a poe. He's been writing this blog for years.
He's mentally ill.
7/26/2011 4:11:05 AM
Percy Q. Shunn
7/26/2011 4:17:25 AM
Obvious satire is obvious.
7/26/2011 4:26:54 AM
Good God, this insane blog has been going on for years. Either this guy's trolling dedication makes "Tara Gilesbie" look like someone who makes a racist comment on Youtube on a whim, or I have no hope for humanity.
7/26/2011 5:01:36 AM
The thing is, in 25 years time the theories surrounding many of these things will have advanced to encompass new information - I especially think we will have a better understanding of cell structures, QM, atomic structure and so on - this is what science does.
Garvan will interpret the advance of our understanding in these fields as vindication of his prediction, because he doesn't understand the concept of accumulated understanding - for him a scientific theory is an assertion of dogma, rather than a framework by which to understand things that shifts as new information comes to light.
7/26/2011 5:19:05 AM
Poe! It has to be a poe, i hope.
7/26/2011 5:21:40 AM
Aren't these things not theories so much as proven and measurable facts applied to daily life?
Please be sarcasm and not overwhelming stupid.
7/26/2011 5:22:08 AM
This has to be a parody. I mean, I've seen all sorts of moronic things from creationists but not even the dumbest one denies the existence of lasers.
3. Theory that the moon governs tidal patterns.
Bill O'Reilly, is that you?
7/26/2011 5:24:31 AM
From what I've read Garvan is an ex-undertaker.
I suspect that years of inhaling formaldehyde has rotted his brain.
7/26/2011 5:30:20 AM
Jesus, it's 1951!
7/26/2011 5:31:11 AM
"7. Theory of quantum mechanics. "
The chips in your computer were designed using the theory of quantum mechanics. To avoid offending god, turn off your computer and dump it in the garbage now.
7/26/2011 5:31:49 AM
You might be right on 8 - that's partly what the LHC is looking at. I doubt you understand it, it's probably just something you've heard somewhere and think makes you seem knowledgeable.
No idea what you're banging on about with 5. I think you've misunderstood something somewhere.
As for the rest, you're dead wrong.
7/26/2011 5:35:18 AM
I don't know this guy, but this screams of satire or sarcasm to me.
7/26/2011 5:36:53 AM
Within the last three minutes Garvan Ellison has proved that he is the biggest ignoramus in the entire cosmos.
7/26/2011 5:46:10 AM
But I...that's...holy shit, he's for real?!? No, no, no, that's just not possible...is it?
7/26/2011 5:50:02 AM
Are you willing to bet money on that? Can I have that in writing too?
7/26/2011 5:57:54 AM
@HazelHolly: Actually, "global warming" is also correct. The term "climate change" was a euphemism created by an opponent of global warming to make the issue sound less serious in political discussions.
7/26/2011 6:00:47 AM
1 2 3 4 5 6